Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tide over with Sweet Potato, Ricotta and Beet Salad, snack for 1

More continuous kitchen! Like the celery I talked about previously, ricotta cheese is another thing that the grocery store only sells in weird amounts. For example, say you wanted to make ricotta cheese muffins, you only need ½ cup of ricotta cheese, but the smallest container of ricotta you can get is probably about a pound. Now you’ve got all this extra ricotta sitting around, and no more plans for baking it into anything in sight. What to do with it? Something that uses it up, but doesn’t bore you? May I suggest this little extremely yummy and good for you snack, or dinner.

Ingredients
1 Sweet potato or yam
1 large beet
Large dollop ricotta
Splash red wine vinegar
Olive oil, salt, pepper
Parsley

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put a sauce pan of water on to boil. Give your sweet potato a couple fork-pokes and bake it for around 40 minutes, or until easily pierced.

Once the potato is in the oven, peel and slice your beet into thick slices, about ½ inch or so. Boil it for about 40 minutes, the potato and beet should be done at the same time.

Yes, that hot pad has "Maestro at Wok" written on it. I also have "Treble in the Kitchen." They were gifts, yes, my parents are hysterical. I can handle hot things and sing with the Esoterics all I want. Don't judge me. 


The devil's bathtub. A.k.a boiling beets.

Here you can see that my salt and pepper shakers are hugging in the background. They fear the devil's bathtub. Don't worry guys! Later we can shake you upside down, won't that be fun?


Once the beet is drained and the potato is out of the oven and each is cool enough to handle, assemble your snack.

Slice the potato lengthwise and cube the beet. In a small bowl, mix the beet cubes with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar.

Top the potato with a large dollop of ricotta, followed up by the beet salad. If you like, add some chopped parsley. And done!



1 comment:

  1. How did you know to make a recipe that includes 3 of my favorite foods?? Someday when I live in one place again, I can try this.

    ReplyDelete